Sunday 8 September 2013

Droxford, Hants to W Chiltington, W Sussex - in which I lose my wing man

At the Indian, Harry turned down my offer of earplugs and went to sleep. I tried both sets (acquired from different airlines) and neither made the slightest difference. I slept we'll after 1. 00 am when the post-disco chatter and horn-blowing contest eventually subsided. Sad. I was so proud of having the forethought to bring those earplugs.

A lovely ride in the morning, bright September sun, magnificent views and some 35 minutes while we saw no other vehicle except a peleton of Sunday morning cyclists all identically dressed and in formation. Except one, who rode at the back and may have just tagged along. They sailed past us, of course.

The occasional shower was forecast. We met it as we crossed from Hampshire into Sussex. There is a handy yew tree just at that point, which provided shelter while we added rainproofs. Arrived at West Dean in time for lunch but sadly, just before we got there, Harry, my wing man, took another hit. She has been brave beyond reason until now and her elbow, damaged 19 days ago, had just about got better. Now her raincoat got caught on the saddle as she dismounted and the same knee took the brunt of what should have been really a minor tumble. It proved to be enough to knock her out of the race. Milly and Mikey valiantly came over from home and collected Harry and her bike. A sad day for Harry, ditto for me. She's hoping to join me again tomorrow for the finale.

Bad news for sponsors by the scheme. I was able to find both Hastoe's housing projects in West Dean, which are quite separate from each other so I am counting it as two hits. Charming developments, both, with Sussex round flint walls.

The shower we had met earlier came back with several of its big brothers and I got thoroughly drenched during the afternoon. It makes me realise how wonderfully we have been blessed with fair weather until now. Even today, the sun came out and partly dried me out before reaching West Chiltington where I have found a decent place to stay.

Ad so to bed (early). Tomorrow, God willing, I will be back in Barcombe via Hastoe developments at  Lower Beeding near here and Wivelsfield Green.

Huge thanks for all the support we have received. I believe we are set to make our target of £3,000 with perhaps some over. We have thoroughly enjoyed the challenge. It has proved much more demanding than, in my innocence, I had expected.

Nick

1 comment:

  1. You are both Awesome, Amazing, crazy, and an inspirational to many, Love you both loads can't wait for the final post from you x x

    ReplyDelete